Terms and Conditions
Whenever you register for a class at Colours of Dance you will be asked to agree to our Terms and Conditions of participation. This covers aspects of GDPR as well as ensuring that you are aware of your obligations to us, and our obligations to you. One frequently asked question is surrounding our "Once you're in, you're in" policy. We assume that students will continue lessons with us until we are notified otherwise, and due to this assumption you must give us half a term (around 1 month) notice of your intention to leave the class.
This page only covers Colours of Dance classes. For our Studio Community teachers, please refer to their own web site for the terms of participation.
Colours of Dance General Terms and Conditions
Privacy, Your Data and Terms & Conditions of Participation - Revised June 2020
Colours of Dance is committed to the protection of privacy for each individual within its community, be that student, parent, teacher, employee or studio hirer. As part of this commitment, we will only collect, retain and process any data about an individual that is absolutely necessary to
1 - providing the safe provision of dance tuition and examinations and
2 - communicating to teachers, students, parents, employees and studio hirers information about relevant activities in the school, special events and fees due.
Colours of Dance will not share any information about any individual with any third party without the specific, express and advance permission of the individual concerned. Colours of Dance does not use ‘mailing lists’. You will only receive emails from Colours of Dance administrative staff that are relevant to you/the student personally or to your class. In general start/end of term emails to the whole school, the Principal may decide to include information about other classes or new classes that are coming to the community that she thinks you may be interested in. There will be no paid for advertising in these emails.
For more detailed information about the collection and processing of personal information at Colours of Dance, please contact the Principal.
You will be reminded to review the Colours of Dance Privacy Statement and the Terms and Conditions as and when they change and at the start of each academic year. We ask you annually to review (and re-consent if you wish) to ensure that the terms of the agreement under which each student is enrolled in class are in place between you, the student and the teacher.
You will be prompted to review the T&Cs annually when you log in to your Colours of Dance Online account on our web site after the end of the Summer Term each year or you may receive an email from the Principal directly suggesting you do so.
Any questions about the Privacy Statement or the Terms and Conditions should be addressed to the Principal.
If you wish to see the Colours of Dance Safeguarding Policy, you may do so here.
Colours of Dance Class Terms of Participation
Section 1 - Relating to Students
- To register for classes, the student or parent (where the student is aged under 18) must complete an online registration form in advance of the first class for each student who wishes to attend
- Registration will create an online account with Colours of Dance, containing essential and personal details of declared by you. You may review and update these details at any time by logging into your account using your email address and the PIN number you can claim at the login page. You should ensure that emergency contact/medical details are kept up to date
- Your online account gives access to your 'basket' through which you pay for your fees online.
- Students are not required to re-register each term or if they graduate to a new class - their registration will move with them. Once you’re in, you’re in!
- As a matter of professional respect and courtesy to teachers working with, developing and mentoring their pupils, Colours of Dance does not accept students currently studying with another teacher/dance school, except where that teacher requests it, or the parent has agreed with that teacher that they will attend both schools. We ask that Colours of Dance pupils wishing to attend dance classes in another school or under another teacher treat us with the same courtesy and speak to us before attending any other classes. This is also a matter of safeguarding, as we like to ensure that our pupils study under responsible, properly trained and registered teachers in a safe and supportive environment.
- Students should be healthy enough to attend dance classes whilst understanding that dance classes are absolutely suitable for a wide range of fitness and ability types. Please speak to the teacher about any issues before the start of class, however insignificant they may seem. For more complex/on-going issues, please discuss these with the teacher or Principal in advance and provide medical documentation as may be necessary.
- Students should be comfortable learning in a group setting, where from time to time they will be arranged into smaller groups, pairs or solo.
- If there are any learning issues associated with a student, you should speak to the Principal before attending to ensure the chosen class is suitable for the student. We enjoy working with all types of learning skills, and this is most successful when parents/students and teachers work together.
- The teacher of each class will discuss the progress of individual students with students themselves, or their parents on an ad hoc basis as they deem appropriate and necessary. If parents or pupils would like to arrange a time for further information, please contact the office to set this up.
- If you are not able to come to class due to last minute illness, emergency or the A14 (!), please try to text or phone the school office to let us know (07444 452924), or failing that kindly let your teacher know at the next lesson.
- If you know you will need to miss a class, please contact the school office to let the teacher know, and if that is judged suitable by the teacher, to arrange a make-up class. Missed classes are the responsibility of the parent/student and it may not be possible to attend another in replacement. Colours of Dance does not have a responsibility to make up a missed class to the student.
- If you do not come to class for 2 consecutive weeks and we do not hear from you, we will try to contact you by email and phone. If you do not reply within a reasonable period (and within the end of that term period), we will process your notice to leave and may give your place to someone on the waiting list. You will receive an automated email when we process your notice.
- Communications regarding term dates, fees, watching week or anything else will normally be made by email. We aim that all emails are tailored to a group or series of individuals. From time to time, there will be a wider school communication which you may feel does not relate to you, in which case please delete it!
- You should always receive 3 emails a term - at the start of term, at half term and at the end of term. If you think you have not received these emails, please check your email settings, junk folder, and contact us to help you not miss out.
- Fees are due in full by the first day of each term (or at the second lesson, where a student is new), and are payable in full for the whole/pro-rated term, unless a separate agreement is made with the Principal. Please note:
- If any class is missed due to absence of the student, there will be no refund
- If any class is cancelled, a make-up class will be offered at a later date or a refund will be given in the form of credit into your basket to be used against the next bill
- Current fees are posted on the Colours of Dance website.
- Fees that remain unpaid on the first day of term lose discounts
- Fees that remain unpaid after the completion of the second lesson, will be liable to a late payment charge equal to 10% of the total fees due.
- Discounts are offered for 'early bird settlement', between siblings and the parents within a family and are applicable until the first day of term (ie the due date), when the full fee becomes due.
- Students may be invited for external examination or medal test by their teacher when they are ready. The readiness of students for examinations and tests is assessed jointly by the class teacher and the Principal and decisions made by them are final. Students are able to progress in all dance styles without examination. Please note that not all students in a class will be ready for examination at the same time.
- To leave a class, please give at least one month's notice (approximately half a term). To give notice, please email, or speak in person or by phone. You may be billed for half a term's fees of the class you have left if you do not give notice and simply do not turn up to class.
- When you give notice to leave Colours of Dance, the online account created for you will be deleted after your last lesson. The personal data will be retained for up to 1 year after the notice is effective, with final deletion being performed by 31st August in the academic year in which notice was given. Where financial records have to be retained as required by HMRC regulations, these will be anonymised, and all personal data removed.
Section 2 - Relating to Parents & Helpers:
- Except for certain pre-school classes, parents do not attend the classes with their children and should be comfortable waiting outside. For younger children, this may require some adjustment and we will work with each child & their parents to help ease this process.
- From time to time, you will be invited to regular 'watching weeks', usually (but not always) held at the end of the Autumn and Summer Terms, so that they may admire their children's progress and support their development. 'Watching Weeks' are held at the discretion of individual teachers and may vary from teacher to teacher & class to class. When all the children and parents in the room at that time give permission, we will allow you to do this on the following understanding:
- That you do so by permission and for the benefit of, the students, parents and the Principal of Colours of Dance, on condition that the privacy of the participants, and their families are respected.
- That you will not post any of these images online on a website or any social media site, if they contain the image of a child (or teacher) other than your own child, without first seeking the written permission to do so of every person visible in the image. You will also ensure that anyone you share these photos with (a family member or friend for example) knows about, understands and accepts the same responsibility and conditions attached to the images.
- That if it is found that any image has been used improperly, the responsible person may be reported to the relevant agency for endangering child safety, the invasion of privacy and improper use of personal data.
- Thank you for your support to keeping our community safe and for being trustworthy.
- All students under the age of 11 must be collected from the door or foyer of their classes (this is the reception area on the 2nd floor at the CoD Studios), not from outside the building in which the classes are held. If you wish to make different arrangements for your child under the age of 11, you may advise the Principal in writing, in advance. COVID-19 TERMS & CONDITIONS APPLICABLE AND OVERRIDE THIS ARRANGEMENT TEMPORARILY.
- A wireless access point is supplied as a bonus benefit to Colours of Dance students and parents at the Histon Road Studios. You will just need the wi-fi password posted in the waiting room to access the network. To keep our network safe and running smoothly, we monitor and may apply limitations for use of this network, relating to images, content and duration of use. Parents, please note that you are responsible for agreeing with your child in advance whether they may bring and use their wifi enabled device at CoD studios and the content that they view via this point. CoD reserves the right to refuse wifi access to any child or adult who we feel is accessing unsafe material or abusing the privilege and if this is the case, the concern will be logged and you will be contacted by the Principal.
Section 3 - Studio Use
Colours of Dance Studios offers space for waiting & changing students & parents. Failure to meet the below terms and conditions may result in the offending person being asked to wait off the premises:
- All children must be under the supervision of a responsible adult
- Children must not climb on the furniture
- All persons must be respectful that lessons take place and that excess noise is a distraction both for the teachers and the pupils trying to learn. We ask that all people therefore:
- Do not congregate in the foyer area outside individual Studio doors
- Do not make excessive noise while lessons are in progress
- No nuts, and no popcorn are allowed in the building due to the risk of choking and allergies of some of our pupils
- Any mess created must be cleaned up by the person(s) responsible
- Respect must be shown for all Colours of Dance students, physical property, children’s toys, activities and books
Section 4 - Outreach facilities
Where you attend a class in a location that is not the Colours of Dance studios, we ask that you apply the same respect, care and rules above to waiting areas wherever they are. Colours of Dance will have signed letting conditions in these locations and these will involve us make commitments about respect for property on your behalf. These are available upon request. Failure to meet the standards of respectful use that we ask may result in the offending person being asked to wait off the premises.
Section 5 - Registration Form Next Steps
When we receive your application, which is completed and sent to us on selecting the button below to agree to the Terms and Conditions, we will contact you with all details of the class you have requested to join, including cost and start/trial dates.
Section 6 - Final Confirmation of Agreement
Filling in a registration form does not form a binding agreement between yourself and Colours of Dance. By filling in this form you agree to Colours of Dance storing these details on a computer. We will use this information communicating with you regarding this class and to keep you informed of Colours of Dance activities. We will not pass the information on to any other person or organisation except as required to process information required for the benefit of this pupil. If you do not take up a class with Colours of Dance, the information given in this registration form will be deleted from our records.
If you take up a place with Colours of Dance, this registration information will form the basis of the creation of your Colours of Dance online account and your agreement to be bound by this T&C will be in force from the point of the student’s attendance at a second class and/or the payment of fees.
Section 7 - Covid-19 Pandemic Measures, Safety and Terms & Conditions
During the period of the Covid-19 pandemic face to face classes have been replaced by the Colours of Dance Digital curriculum. As re-opening of society and easing of lockdown measures apply, some classes will be re-opened in accordance with the law and as health and safety allows us to do safely. At all times, we will balance the needs of our students to attend classes in person with the actions it is necessary to take to reduce the risk of transmission. We will be cautious in our approach.
During the period that Covid-19 pandemic measures are in place as set by the government, a mix of digital and face to face access will be applied as the changing situation applies. You will be advised in writing of all plans and changes in advance of their implementation. To be absolutely clear, if local restrictions are put in place restricting classes, Colours of Dance will replace all in-person lessons with a digital/online equivelent to try ensure that learning material as is appropriate to the age and standard of the student is made available to the student. The manner of this material may include online access to a live class led by the teacher, or may include recorded material sent to you and followed up with smaller groups (tutorials). In the event that face to face classes are restricted by prevailing legislation or local restrictions, where digital equivalents are provided by Colours of Dance to its registered students, fees will not be refunded or carried forward.
During this period, the Covid19 Health and Safety policy applies to you all (a copy will be made available to you by email, posted on our website and put up in the entry door to the studios) and the following special terms & conditions will apply:
- Additional cleaning is being undertaken between classes. Staff and teachers are taking responsibility for this and allowing time necessitates a change in timetabling to allow this. Future changes may become necessary, depending on how the pandemic continues to affect us in this area. Please note:
- Any timetabling changes will be advised in advance directly to those affected.
- Any cancelled physical classes will be made up with a replacement class that will take place online, or by adding a class at the end of term. Where a replacement class or material cannot be offered, a credit of that portion of the term fee will be placed in the students' basket to use up against future fees.
- Class limits will be changed to a maximum of 15 students physically present in children's classes, and a maximum of 10 students in senior student and adult classes.
- Anyone entering the CoD studios will be asked to make a medical declaration before they are allowed to enter. Subject to the answers to the questions you may not be able to enter. The medical declaration may be found on our website noticeboard.
- Students attending multiple classes each week in the same level (ie 2 Grade 2 ballet classes), may be asked to attend one in person and one by virtual access through zoom. Attendance Physically and Virtually will be priced differently.
- Parents for students aged 6 and above will not be allowed in the CoD studios building during the period that Covid security measure are in place, so as to reduce transmission risks and crowding as well as to reduce contact between adults and children across different communities.
- Children aged 5 and under may be required to have a single adult wait in the building during their class so as to assist with toileting and going up and down the stairs. These adults must abide by the prevailing H&S processes in place and masks must be worn at all times. We are very sorry, but we cannot accomodate siblings or more than 1 adult per student in this, there is simply not enough safe space.
- Students should not attend class if they or anyone in their family are showing any covid-19 symptoms within the previous 14 days, or since they last attended. These include a new or persistent cough, a loss of sense of smell or taste or a high temperature above 37.5 degrees. They may request to attend virtually by Zoom until symptoms subside.
- Students who become unwell during the day before class, perhaps with a new cough, but who otherwise feel well, may text the studio to apply to attend by zoom that day in place of their normal physical attendance that week. This is to allow students to keep up attendance at classes, even in the event of family member having to isolate, or in the event of a normal cold arriving with winter but caution being observed. Please note:
- Places in class are the gold standard and there are many people on waiting lists who would love to attend class but there isn't enough space. Remote attendance is a temporary measure and not a replacement way of learning to dance, or a comfortable route to avoid Cambridge traffic (though we appreciate it's tempting!).
- Students normally expected in person who arrive in a zoom waiting room will not be accepted into the zoom class without a text message being sent or a phone call made in advance. All text messages will be acknowledged.
- Virtual attendance by zoom will not guarantee a physical place in class in the future, once it is possible to return to full on-site provision, though we will try to satisfy all requests and will be able to put on more classes once more concurrent classes may be run safely.
- Zoom attendance only may be requested by those students who are medically vulnerable or who are required to self-isolate for a period and will only be granted to those students we know well. Each request will be granted at the discretion of the Principal.
- Zoom attendance requires parents to be present during the class for children under age 11 and within earshot for those aged 11-16, for reasons of safety and supervision. Logging into a class virtually indicates acceptance of this responsibility by the parent.
- Within the studios building, students will be guided into preserving safe distances between each other during class.
- Windows will be kept open throughout the building to support good ventilation/air flow, so as it gets colder all students will need suitable and good warm up layers (this may include gloves & a beanie hat if necessary) to wear at the start of class.
- Students must arrived changed and hair done, with their street clothes on top. They will remove outer layers in the studio, removing their outside shoes before they enter the dance space.
- In the event a student or teacher feels unwell whilst they are in the building, they will be isolated and the emergency contact called. Should a case of Covid-19 be confirmed within the community, we will follow track and trace proceedures.
- Should physical classes need to be suspended due to a teacher being unwell, we will try hard to replace this with a cover teacher or wholly virtual classes for a period.
- Should a physical class need to be suspended due to a confirmed infection or requirement to quarantine, we will replace the physical classes with a virtual class or digital curriculum material.
- Giving notice during the pandemic period will remain normal - that is 1 month notice is required for all classes or fees may be incurred.
- Staff, Students or Parents not abiding by the Covid Health and Safety processes in place may be given notice to leave the school - this may be with immediate effect and without refund/reimbursement.
Outreach classes - zoom access
Where we feel it is necessary and only with the prior permission of the relevent school, we will offer zoom access to our outreach students in the same ways and under the same conditions as for our other classes. Memebrs of these classes will be advised individually what arrangements are put in place for them.
Staff and teachers are taking on new and additional responsibilities in order to be able to offer a safe place for dance classes to continue. Cleaning is just one visible aspect. Putting all these things into place will require a positive approach, goodwill and possibly patience from us all whilst we get the hang of it. We hope we will treat you with warmth and welcome as well as clear instructions at all times as we all work together to get this new system up and running. If you have questions or concerns please do speak up - either at the time or by phone call or email.
Anyone who is rude or abusive towards any member of staff may be asked to leave the school.
Further details on Health and Safety precautions may be found on our website Noticeboard or requested by email at any time. These details will be kept up to date as the regulations charge/are updated. These details include a Covid-19 Risk Assessment, the special Health & Safety Policy & Processes, the medical declaration required by all people in the building and the daily cleaning protocols.
I have read and understood this information notice and Terms & Conditions, and I agree to adhere to them. I accept my responsibility for ensuring that if my child is over the age of 13 they are aware of (has read and understood) the terms and conditions that apply to their attendance at this event and which I have agreed to on their behalf. My child and I may ask the Principal about any questions or concerns they have regarding the terms and conditions herein.
With regards to mine and my child’s personal data, I understand that images may be shared with me by Colours of Dance if I request them. I understand that I may also request that images be removed from the Colours of Dance studio, archive, website at any time in the future respecting my right to be forgotten. I understand that my child may refuse to be photographed or filmed at any time, no matter what consent I have given here.